Class Cancellation and University Closure Procedures
Notification procedures for Class Cancellation, Class Delay and University Closure
When hazardous weather conditions or other unforeseen circumstances require emergency closure of University classes and offices, the Office of the Provost, in consultation with other senior members of the Office of the President and/or the Academic Deans, will notify the campus community.
The University notifies the community by a number of means:
- The Eagle Website always has most up-to-date information: http://eagle.northwestu.edu/.
- A text message will be sent through the My Alerts system. Be sure that your notification preferences are updated: http://eagle.northwestu.edu/my-alerts/
- An e-mail message will be sent to all the pertinent listservs.
- The main University switchboard will have an outgoing message announcing closures: 425.822.8266.
Announcements will be sent to the following media outlets:
- KCIS 630 AM
- KCMS 105.3 FM
- KING 1090 AM – KING Channel 5
- KIRO 710 AM – KIRO Channel 7
- KOMO 1000 AM – KOMO Channel 4
Radio and TV announcements are notoriously undependable. The previous four methods are much more consistent and accurate.
Types of Cancellation/Closure Notifications
- Classes Delayed:
Generally this is announced when the weather is improving and the primary issue is driving conditions. We attempt to make this announcement by 6:00am and no later than 7:00am. The Delayed Start time schedule is available here.
- Daytime Classes Cancelled:
When this is announced, the University is still open for other business. We attempt to make this announcement by 6:00am and no later than 7:00am.
- Evening Classes Cancelled:
This notification applies to courses starting at 4:30pm or later. We attempt to make this notification by 1:00pm and no later than 3:00pm.
- University Closed:
We attempt to make this announcement by 6:00am and no later than 7:00am.