NU Worship’s mission is to help cultivate the spiritual vitality of the community at Northwest University and to help foster the spiritual formation of each member primarily through the use of music in corporate worship services, which we believe is a means to the greater end of living lives of worship to God.
NU Worship General Information:
NU Worship is led by Brenda Rasmussen and Christian Dawson and is facilitated by a team of student worship team leaders.
NU Worship utilizes music to corporately sing for the following reasons:
- Ephesians 5.18-19, Colossians 3.16, Psalm 5.11, Psalm 59.16, Psalm 105.1-5
- Singing glorifies God.
- Singing is a way to respond to and be reminded of:
- who God is,
- what He has said,
- what He has done,
- what He is doing.
- Singing is a command in Scripture.
- Singing roots us in and teaches us Scripture and Biblical truth.
- Singing calls us to root our identity, hope, and joy in God.
- Singing calls us to live our hardships, trials, problems, and pain with God.
- Singing calls us to action such as obedience, repentance, and mission.
- Singing allows us to reflect on and respond to our relationship with God.
- Singing builds up others.
- Singing unifies God’s people.
- Singing is a way to remember and express love, devotion, commitment, desire, and need for God.
For questions contact email@example.com
Joining The Team:
Being a part of NU Worship gives members the opportunity to grow as a worship leader, musician, and follower of Jesus. Members will have the chance to lead others to express and live their faith in Jesus Christ and encourage the community through their talents. Being involved with an NU Worship requires time, hard work, a “team player” attitude, personal responsibility, maturity, a positive lifestyle, teach-ability, and respect. We consider very carefully and prayerfully who should be selected to lead worship in this way as well as represent the University, therefore we expect that each student chosen will live up to the high expectations of a Christ-centered life, will serve the NU community well, will work hard in their craft and as a part of NU Worship, and will represent the University well.
Students can audition for NU Worship in one of three ways: auditions held during the school year (Fall Semester), auditions for a music scholarship prior to the school year, and auditions by recommendation. All students wanting to be a part of NU Worship must have some sort of audition with the music director and/or worship pastor. Students are prayerfully selected by the Campus Ministries Office based on spiritual leadership, musicianship, reputation, recommendation, application, and compatibility. The desired caliber and size of NU Worship limits the number of students who can be involved.
2017-2018 NU WORSHIP AUDITION INFORMATION
NU Worship Auditions for the 2017-2018 school year will be held on Thursday, September 6th for vocalists and Thursday, September 13th for instrumentalists.
Due to the high amount of student involvement, we only allow one instrument and one vocal audition per person. An instrumentalist can separately audition for vocals (or vice versa).
Audition Process: A limited number of spots to participate in NU Worship are available and listed below. Students who audition will be emailed an adjudication feedback with feedback on areas that they are strong in and can grow in. Each student will be adjudicated on categories including melodic accuracy, rhythmic precision, skill and technique, tone and sound quality, memorization and execution, interpretation and improvisation, and communication and stage presence. To view the adjudicating form and more descriptions of each cateogry click on the link below.
- Up to 4 Female Vocalists
- Up to 5 Male Vocalists
- Up to 4 Keyboardists
- Up to 2 Drummers
- Up to 3 Bassists
- Up to 5 Electric Guitarists
Worship Vocal Auditions:
- 10-minute audition in Butterfield Chapel, please arrive at least 10 minutes before your audition time with a filled out application.
- Auditions will consist of singing to a pre-recorded track. Please be prepared to lead a shortened arrangement of “Reckless Love” by Cory Asbury in either the key of A, C, or E.
- Vocal rehearsal and audition tracks can be found below.
- You may also be asked to sing harmony.
Worship Band Auditions:
- 10-minute audition in Butterfield Chapel, please arrive at least 10 minutes before your set audition
- Bring a filled out application, instrument, headphones or in-ears (you will use the Aviom monitor system).
- All musicians are expected to memorize music and play to a click track.
- Please be prepared to play a shortened arrangement of “Lion and the Lamb” by Bethel Music.
- Band rehearsal and audition tracks can be found below.
- Auditions will consist of playing the song to pre-recorded tracks. The track will not include whatever instrument you are auditioning. For example, if you are auditioning keys the tracks will include drums, guitar, bass, etc. but no keys.
- Please bring your own in-ears or headphones
- Please do not merely learn the chords but learn the actual parts for your instrument.
- We will provide a Nord stage 1
- You can bring your own keyboard or software
- We will provide a drum set
- Please bring a metronome (app) and drumsticks
- You will not be allowed to trade out drums or cymbals
- Electric / Acoustic Guitar: Please provide your own amp, guitar, pedals, and necessary cables.
- Bass Guitar:
- We will provide a bass head and cab
- Please provide your own bass and a quarter inch cable
NU WORSHIP AUDITION SIGN UPS AND DOWNLOADS
Due to the high volume and caliber of NU Worship, we encourage people to carefully consider auditioning. There are a limited number of audition spots that won’t be adjusted. Spots will be available on a first come, first serve basis. Audition sign-ups will go live on Friday evening August 31st.
Click for NU Worship Band Audition Signs Ups.
Click for NU Worship Vocal Audition Sign Ups.
NU Worship FAQ:
- What is the time commitment for being involved?
- Monday Night Pursuit: Sound Check at 5 pm. Service at 8:30 pm
- Wednesday Chapel: Sound Check at 6:30 am. Service at 10 am and 11:20 am
- Friday Chapel: Rehearsal Thursday Nights at 8 pm. Sound Check at 6:30 am. Service at 10 am and 1120 am.
- Monthly Team Nights
- In order to keep NU Worship a small time commitment, we expect all members to come prepared to rehearsal already having their music memorized.
- Which chapel do I play in? If I am in Alpha Chapel do I play in Omega Chapel? All of our worship members play in both chapels. Chapels are begins 20 minutes before the class hour. Alpha Chapel is from 10-11am while the class hour starts at 10:20. Omega Chapel is from 11:20 am-12:20 pm while the class hour begins at 11:40. Worship typically ends about 17 minutes after the service begins giving students 3 minutes to get to class without being late.
- How are people scheduled to play? Students are scheduled at the beginning of the semester through planning center online. Schedules are given typically a month if not earlier in advance.