Adjunct Faculty – NU Kirkland
Discovery (based on Moodle) is our Learning Management Software and a site is created for every face to face course. You are required to post your Syllabus and open the course to students at least one week before the start of classes. Assignments and resources can be added for your students. Discovery has many features including a gradebook, an attendance application, online discussion forums, and online quizzes. Assignments can be submitted toTurnitin and an Originality Report will be generated for you and your students. Comments and the grade can be added to papers using the Feedback Studio feature of Turnitin.
- You are enrolled in a course called NU Faculty Tutorials which contains videos and handouts to help you with Discovery. The same resources are available on the Discovery Resources page on the ITC website.
- Support is available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting the Instructional Technology Center.
- Checklist for Building a Discovery Course.
Panopto is our lecture capture software. Every Kirkland classroom computer has the Panopto Recorder client which will enable you to capture lectures and presentations. You can also use the Panopto Recorder in the ITC Recording Studio or from your office or home computer to record content for your students.
Pancasts (Panopto recordings) are available to students via the Panopto Focus block in Discovery and students can view them online or download them to iTunes. See Panopto Resources for more information.
- All Kirkland classrooms are equipped with: computer, video camera (for Panopto), document camera, and a projector or a 70′ HDMI screen for displaying content. Most classrooms have a DVD/VHS player. There is a Blue-ray player in Argue HSC 104.
- SMART Classrooms contain a SMART Board or SMART Podium: Rice 1, Rice 2, Rice 4, Rice 5, Argue 104, Argue 229, Argue 231, Argue 233 and Barton 200.
- Office 2013 has been installed on all classroom and computer lab computers.
Note: All NU employees can purchase Office 2016 or 2013 (PC), Office 2016 (Mac), Office 10, or 8 for $9.95 each from Kivuto using the link on the Information Technology Department website. Due to our agreement with Microsoft adjunct Faculty qualify for the Full-time Faculty price. Other products are also available.
- Call the IT Help Desk (425.889.5310) if you have a problem with classroom technology.
- If additional technology is needed for a class use the Equipment Request form.
- Be sure to turn off projector/screen and log out of computer before leaving the classroom.
The Eagle website contains announcements, links, and information that will be helpful to you as an adjunct professor at Northwest University. The main links are:
- NU – This is the official Northwest University website which provides information regarding our academic programs, branch campuses, events, NU Calendar, and other information about NU.
- Library – This is the Library website where you can search the NU – Kirkland collection as well as online databases, many of them providing access to articles that you can read or download. The NU Syllabus Archive is available from the Library webpage.
- Courses – This menu contains links to Self-Service (list of courses that you are teaching and students enrolled, final course grades will be added to Self-Service at end of semester – See Faculty Self-Service Introduction), Discovery courses, Online Campus (courses with /1000 & /2000 level sections) & My Textbooks.
- Shop – This menu contains links to Eagle Exchange (NU apparel, gifts, and accessories) and Amazon.com (textbooks).
- E-Mail – This link provides access to Employee E-Mail and Student E-Mail. Students have access to Office 365 via their E-Mail account.
- My Account: Current balance, monthly statements and more.
- My Academics: Includes a list of current courses, and other links.
- My Printing: Printing and Long Distance codes.
- My Information: Address and content information, can be edited.
- My Emergency Contact Information: Add Emergency contact information.
- NU Alerts: Add or update text and email information which will be used when a campus alert is sent out.
Additional options on this page include Maintenance requests, My Parking, and My Textbooks.
Northwest University Directories
Employee and Student Directories can be accessed by selecting Directories from the Campus Resources list. You must be logged into Eagle to view the Directories.
RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS
We have a number of tutorials to help students with Discovery, Turnitin, and Panopto. They have access to these resources via the NU Student Tutorials course in Discovery, but feel free to direct them to the Student Tutorials page, or add links to these resources to your Discovery site.
- Technology Assistance
The IT Help Desk is available via phone (425.889.5310) or by emailing email@example.com. You can also search the FAQ on the IT Website. The Information Technology Department is located in Barton 122.
- Equipment Requests
Use the Equipment Request form on the IT website if you need to request equipment for a special class or event.
If you have a special guest in your class and they will be using equipment other than the classroom equipment, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request that IT staff be present to ensure a proper equipment setup. Also, if you would like to record a special speaker or class presentation that you will want to keep for future use, send an email to email@example.com requesting a video camera set up that will result in a better recording.
- Printing Services
If you are printing more than 50 copies of an item it is faster and easier to send a Print Order Request to Printing Services using the form that is available on their webpage. Your order will be delivered to your mail box within 24 hours. Rush orders will be accommodated when possible.
- NU Passwords
Passwords expire every 6 months and you will receive a notice that your password is about to expire. You can change your password using the NU Password Management site. If you are unable to log into Eagle or Discovery it may mean that your password has expired so call the Help Desk at 425.889.5310 to ask that your password be reset.
We are here to provide technology support and training for YOU. Please contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com), by phone (425.889.7832) or stop by the ITC in Rice 25.