The Mark and Huldah Buntain College of Nursing (BCON) Admissions Review Committee evaluates all information in the application and selects applicants for admission to the upper division major as pre-licensure nursing students based on strong academic qualifications, excellent references, comprehensive communication and quantitative skills, and professionalism. Appeals for admission decisions are handled by the Student Affairs Committee.
- Acceptance to Northwest University is required for application to the BCON.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is required in the BCON’s prerequisite courses.
- Minimum grade of 2.7 is required in the following BCON core courses:
- College Chemistry II (organic and biochemistry)
- Anatomy and Physiology I and II
- General Psychology
- No more than 6 prerequisite courses (including one core course) may be pending by the application due date.
- A plan for completion of unfinished required prerequisites must be included with the application.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed by June 30 for fall admission. Unique to the Buntain College of Nursing: Cultural Anthropology, Genetics and Society, and Bible/Theology courses.
- A passing score on the ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS) entrance competency exam for oral and written communication, reading, computation, and science, is required. A minimum passing score is the BSN program 50th percentile. There is a maximum of 3 attempts for the ATI TEAS at Northwest University and a minimum of 3 months between each attempt. ATI TEAS scores are valid for 5 years from date of application.
- Written self-analysis essays are required.
- A college level faculty reference letter and Christian leader reference letter are required.
Meeting the minimum criteria for consideration of admission neither implies nor guarantees admission to the program.
Apply to the BSN Program
To apply to the College of Nursing, applicants must use NursingCAS, a centralized online application service.
- Applications are made available online on October 1 and due by January 31.
- All official transcripts must be received by NursingCAS by January 31.
- If all requirements are not completed as specified, applications will not be considered.
NOTE: No more than 6 prerequisite courses (including one core course) may be pending by the application due date.
- Complete applications submitted by January 31 and meeting admission criteria are reviewed in the following order:
- Traditional Kirkland Campus in seat
- Nursing Prerequisites Online program
- 48 students are admitted in a cohort each fall.
- Students are notified of admission status by the end of March.
- A waitlist is created for additional qualified students.
- The waitlist does not carry over to the next year.
- Waitlisted students are notified as space becomes available.
Type of Applicant Definitions
- Traditional Kirkland Campus In-Seat: Students enrolled full time (12 to 18 credits per semester) in Northwest University traditional in-seat program for 1 or more semesters.
- Nursing Prerequisites Online: Students enrolled in 5 or more Northwest University Bible/Theology/UCOR courses through the Nursing Prerequisite Online program.
- Transfer: Students enrolled in Northwest University’s traditional campus for less than one full semester or students with fewer than five online classes through NU Online or the Nursing Prerequisites Online.
Regardless of your priority status no more than 6 prerequisite courses (including one core course) may be pending by the application due date.