Disability Accommodations

For students with learning differences and/or physical disabilities, as defined by the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Northwest University takes an individual and holistic approach to providing accommodations.  Accommodations are designed to meet the student’s needs without fundamentally altering the nature of the University’s instructional programs and are determined on an individual basis. Formal notification is required prior to the consideration of an accommodation request. Documentation for an accommodation for a learning difference must originate from a qualified educational evaluation or medical provider.  Documentation for an accommodation supporting a physical or mental health concern must originate from a qualified medical provider. This documentation must be current and must describe the diagnosis and nature of the disability and the prognosis. If the documentation is considered outdated or inadequate in scope and content, it will be necessary for the student to facilitate an update on the evaluation report before the request for accommodations will be considered. Documentation must be within the last three (3) years from the time of the request to be considered current. A description of what specific accommodations have been offered to the student in the past, and a list of specific needs and services that will be requested from Northwest University should be listed on the request form.

Students with documented disabilities who require accommodations that affect residential life, food service, athletic and other co-curricular activities, parking and other non-academic aspects of campus living should follow the same procedures as all other students with an application to the Student Development Office. The Dean of Students makes the determination of what accommodations are reasonable and appropriate on a case-by-case basis. Since arrangements for some accommodations may require extensive preparation, students requiring such services should notify the Student Development Office as soon as possible after admission.

All disability accommodation requests should be submitted to the Director of Academic Success and Advising. However, either the Academic Success and Advising Office or the Student Development Office can answer questions about accommodations specific to their departments. The Academic Success and Advising Director is available to assist students with questions or concerns they may have with regard to individual academic disabilities at 425.889.5227. The Dean of Students is available to assist students with questions or concerns they may have in regard to individual challenges related to campus life at 425.889.5234.

Requesting Services

A student can request accommodation through the following process:

  1. Complete a Disability Accommodation Request Form.
  2. Provide current (within 3 years) documentation of your disability.
  3. Send the completed Disability Accommodation Request Form with documentation to ada@northwestu.edu.
  4. Meet with the either the Director of Academic Success and Advising or the Dean of Students to discuss possible accommodations depending on the nature of the request.
  5. Continue communicating with the Director of Academic Success & Advising or the Dean of Students if you have questions or concerns about the accommodations provided.



Disability Accommodation Request Form

ESA Procedures – Agreement

Request for Information for ESA

Please wait a moment...