Planning for Northwest Weather
Prepare NOW for inclement weather by reading our tips on Planning for Northwest Weather and making yourself aware of campus procedures with regard to weather alerts.
Safety & Emergencies
The Security Department is here to assist the NU community. If you need an escort to your car, assistance with a dead battery, or help in general after hours, please contact them at (425) 889-5500.
In case of emergency call 911 for Kirkland Police or Fire then alert Campus Security. When calling have your physical campus address ready.
For maintenance or housing related emergencies during non-office hours please contact Campus Security.
When a fire alarm is activated, occupants should close all windows and doors, walk to the nearest exit, move to the designated evacuation area and remain outside until an all clear signal is given by the fire department or campus security.
Campus emergencies, school closures and other important time sensitive notifications may be broadcast in several ways including text message alerts, email, bullhorn, runners, and posts on the Eagle Website. All residents are encouraged to sign up for the text message alerts through My Alerts in order to receive notifications quickly.
Personal Emergency Supply Kit
It is strongly encouraged that all residents have at least one personal emergency supply kit located within their car and/or residence hall room. The kit should be able to sustain the resident in the case of emergency for up to 3 days. The supply kit should include the following:
- Water: 1 gallon per person per day for 3 days (3 gallons of water per person)
- Food: 3 day supply of non-perishable food
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio with extra batteries
- First Aid kit
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with charger or inverter
Additional Items to Consider Adding
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Important documents such as insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
- Cash or traveler’s checks and change
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket
- Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items