*All students must apply for housing even if you plan to live off campus*.
Please look at the Housing website for detailed information.

CELE & Undergraduate Students

If you want to live in on-campus housing, you need to apply for it.  As a student, you have 4 options for housing:

  • Live in the dorms.  You need to apply for this.  Living in the dorms includes an all-you-can-eat meal plan in the cafeteria.
  • Live in the student apartments.  You also need to apply for this in the spring time at NU.  You must be a current student.  You usually need junior or senior status.
  • Live in the FIRS apartments.  You must be married, have children, or be 25 years or older.
  • Live off campus.  To qualify to live off campus, you must meet certain requirements.  Please see the Off-Campus Housing Policy.  You must apply to live off campus.

Graduate Students

The university does not require international graduate students to live on campus.  If graduate students do want to live on campus, they can request to live in the FIRS apartments.  Graduate students cannot live in the dorms.  Due to the waiting list, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that a graduate student could live in the FIRS apartments during the first semester, so it is best to look off campus for housing.

If you have any questions about housing, please contact us.

How to Apply for Housing

Please click this page to find instructions on how to apply for housing.

  • CELE or Exchange students – You need to apply for a CELE-Exchange Application
  • Undergraduate students – New student application
  • Married, have children, you are over 25, or you are a graduate student – FIRS application
  • Off-campus students – Residential Exemption Request