Withdrawing from Classes

International students should not withdraw from a registered class without first consulting with International Student Services.  Students on an F-1 visa are required to study full-time unless there are unique circumstances.  Dropping from a class without proper authorization can result in having your I-20 terminated.

If you are on a student visa, please remember:

  • CELE & undergraduate students must be registered for a minimum of 12 credits.
  • Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 6-8 credits depending on your program.

If you need to reduce your course load, please look at the Reduced Course Load page.  Once again, please contact ISS if you have any questions about needing to drop below full-time status.

If you are wanting to withdraw from NU entirely, please contact ISS and look at the Transferring to Another School page if you wish to transfer out.

Authorized Early Withdrawal

If you are an F-1 student and have an emergency that requires you to withdraw from classes and leave the U.S., you may Authorized Early Withdraw Instruction

If you are considering an AEW during a fall or spring semester, submit the Request for Authorized Early Withdrawal (fillable) to the International Student Services (ISS) before dropping classes.

Withdrawing from classes without prior authorization is a violation of F-1 status. Upon applying for AEW, your SEVIS record will be terminated. You may request to reactivate your SEVIS record if you are able to return to the U.S. to resume your studies within 5 months.