Welcome to the Writing Center!
Thank you for your interest in the Writing Center here at Northwest University.
This page provides information about the following:
- How to Schedule an Appointment
- General Information
- Style Guidelines / Online Writing Labs
To schedule an appointment:
Go to the Hurst Library website: https://library.northwestu.edu/
Enter your NU credentials.
Select “Writing Center-Undergraduate” or “Writing Center-Grad/COEE.”
The Undergraduate Writing Center provides mentoring to traditional undergraduate students at the Hurst Library (Main Level). Appointments are strongly encouraged, but we welcome walk-in appointments as well. The center is staffed by trained undergraduate tutors. Contact Dr. Jeremiah Webster if you have any questions (email@example.com).
The Graduate/COEE Writing Center provides mentoring to Graduate, COEE, and extension campus students. The center is housed in the Hurst Library (Basement Level), and is staffed by a professional tutor. Contact Andrea Guisinger if you have any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
About The Writing Center
The Writing Center helps students refine their writing aptitude. Our tutors are trained to provide constructive feedback for projects, essays, and general assignments.
What to Expect:
Tutors provide detailed feedback in a collaborative setting. Tutors will ask you questions, address concerns, and provide as much constructive feedback as possible during your thirty minute appointment. Tutors can help at any point during the writing process. Seeking help far ahead of the assignment deadline is strongly encouraged. The Writing Center is not an editorial service (i.e. grammar only). Tutors help interpret assignment requirements, brainstorm a thesis, develop content, organize a draft, and/or polish a completed essay. Students are expected to engage and participate during the entire tutoring session.
Undergraduate Writing Center
Tutoring sessions are in-person at the Hurst Library (Main Level). In the event of unexpected sickness or quarantine, please reach out to your tutor, the library, or email@example.com in a timely manner.
Graduate/COEE Writing Center
Tutoring session are in-person at the Hurst Library (Basement Level) If you are a graduate student, please contact Andrea Guisinger (firstname.lastname@example.org).
When you come to your appointment, please bring the following:
- The assignment instructions provided by your professor.
- Questions and/or concerns you have about the paper/assignment.
- Recommended: A printed copy of the most current draft of the paper/assignment. Printing is available in the H-214 Computer Lab when you first enter the Hurst Library.
The Writing Center helps students with their writing aptitude. Your success depends on your dedication to the assignment and your engagement during the tutoring process. To make the most of your appointment:
- Do not text or answer phone calls during your session.
- Be on time. If you are more than five minutes late, your appointment may be given to another student. Please respect peer tutors by arriving on time and prepared for your appointment.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, please use the library website.
- Students lose access to the Writing Center if they miss three scheduled appointments without canceling in a timely manner.
- Students are limited to one 30-minute appointment per day.