Welcome to the Writing Center!
On this page you can…
- Schedule an appointment
- Learn what to expect from a tutoring session
- Find writing resources
Click on the buttons below to schedule a Writing Center appointment.
The undergraduate Writing Center provides services to our traditional undergraduate students at the Kirkland campus.
The Graduate/CAPS Writing Center provides services to our Graduate, CAPS, and extension campuses. This center is staffed by a professional tutor.
About the Writing Center
Our Mission: The Writing Center provides the space, attention, time, and tools you need to improve your writing. Our tutors don’t just strive to make better papers, but better writers.
What to Expect: Our trained peer tutors provide detailed, helpful feedback on your writing. One-on-one interaction is the heart of Writing Center sessions. Students are expected and encouraged to participate. Let the tutors know your questions, concerns, or what you’d most like to concentrate on during your appointment. The tutors can help you at any phase of the writing process, whether that be understanding the assignment itself, brainstorming ideas, organizing a draft, or simply polishing a complete draft. The Writing Center does not operate as an editorial service, but rather a collaborative effort between tutors and students.
When you come to your appointment, please bring the following:
- A printed copy of the most current draft of your paper. This is NOT an optional requirement. If you do not bring a printed copy of your paper, the tutor will ask you to reschedule your appointment.
- The assignment instructions as given by your professor.
While we are dedicated to helping you become a better writer, remember that ultimately the paper is yours. We are here to help, but your success depends on your commitment to the assignment. Your engagement with the writing process is vital. As such, please observe the following:
- Do not text message or answer phone calls during your appointment.
- Be on time. If you are more than 5 minutes late, your appointment may be given to another student.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, remove your reservation from the schedule.
- Students lose access to this university resource if they miss three of their scheduled appointments without canceling in a timely manner.
Questions? Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop by the Writing Center in the Library.
Fall 2018 Undergraduate Writing Center Hours
The Fall schedule is posted outside the Writing Center. The Writing Center is never open when the Hurst Library is closed.