Traveling Inside America
Traveling within the United States is easy.  Make sure you take your passport and I-20 with you.

Traveling Outside America
You can travel outside America while you are actively studying.  However, please talk to the ISS department before you decide to leave the country as it can be complicated and risky!

  • Passport – Please make sure your passport is valid with at least 6 months left until its expiration date.
  • I-20 – Your I-20 should have a travel signature on page 2 by a DSO in the International Student Services office within 6 months of your departure.
  • Visa – If your visa is expired, you will need to renew your F-1 student visa before you can come back into the United States.
  • If you are on OPT, you will need in addition to the above your EAD card AND a letter from your employer stating that you are presently employed.  Do not travel on OPT if you don’t have a letter and/or aren’t working!

Make sure you look into the visa requirements for the country you wish to enter.

Please do not leave the country without speaking to a DSO in the International Student Services office if you have a change of status, reinstatement, or OPT application that is pending.  You may risk terminating your status and/or declining your application.

If you need help with your travel plans, please let the International Student Services office know and we can assist you.