The I-20 is also known as a “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.”  It is not a student visa.  Students use the I-20 to pay their SEVIS fee, apply for a student visa, enter the United States, and apply for certain government applications like social security numbers.

In order for ISS to issue an initial I-20 to a student, we need 3 things:

  • Acceptance Letter to Northwest University
  • Bank Statement showing sufficient funds for the 1st year of studies
  • Copy of their passport’s biographical page

If the student currently has an active SEVIS record, they will need to transfer their SEVIS file to ISS.  Please look at the transfer page for more information.

If the student is currently on a different visa and would like to or needs to change their visa status, please look at the change of status page.