Who Can Study Abroad?

Semester-long Study Abroad is accessible to any student at NU. Follow this flowchart to identify the path that best describes your options.




NU Institutional Aid (NU scholarship) does not apply to Semester Abroad tuition or fees.

External (Federal or State) Financial Aid, Grants, Student Loans, can be applied to Semester Abroad Tuition or Fees. 

Students cannot study abroad in their first year at NU, or in their final semester at NU.  Students need to work with their academic advisor to plan their semester abroad and register for the correct courses to meet graduation requirements.

It is the expectation that students studying in off-campus programs will be exemplary representatives for Northwest University, therefore:

A 3.0 GPA is required for NU application approval to a Semester Abroad program.

Students are expected to abide by the Northwest University Community Handbook Lifestyle Standards, in addition to any other standards that may be imposed by the off-campus program.

Students are responsible for their own travel arrangements, including passports, visas, and transportation to the Semester Abroad site. 

Students need to meet with their Advisor remotely during advising week while on Semester Abroad in order to register for classes for the semester when they return.

Study Abroad as a Major Requirement

The following majors require students to study abroad for one semester, typically during the junior year. Students must select the program that has been identified for their major in the Academic Catalog or approved by their advisor. 

  • Cultural Psychology: CCCU Middle East Studies, CCCU Latin American Studies, South Korea Sister Universities
  • Intercultural Studies: CCCU Middle East Studies, Students International Costa Rica, GoEd: Rwanda,  GoEd: Thailand
  • International Business: CCCU Australia, Korean or Japanese Sister Universities, Students International Costa Rica

Study Abroad as Personal Enrichment

Students are encouraged to study abroad, even if it is not required for their major, as Personal Enrichment. Students may choose to fill the elective credit requirements of their major through a Semester Abroad program.

Korean & Japanese Sister University Exchange Programs

We are proud of our  sister university relationships that reflect our strategic Pacific Rim location. Our sister universities offer many courses in English. These credits can be applied to any major’s electives, though they are particularly useful for Business majors.

Our Korean sister universities include: Ewha Womans University, Gachon University, Soongsil University, Hansei University, and Handgong Global University.

Our Japanese sister universities include: Kanagawa University and Toyo University.