The FIRS (Families in Residence)
The Northwest University FIRS Apartments are comprised of 78 apartments located on the east side of campus. Due to the limited number of apartments and the number of applications received, there is a waitlist process to receive a placement in the FIRS. Apartments are assigned based on the date students apply, as well as a priority ranking.
The FIRS offer on-campus housing for undergraduate student families as a first priority. Married full-time undergraduates, full-time undergraduate students over the age of 25, and full-time employees of the University may also apply. Incoming undergraduate students are given higher priority if the application is completed by April 30th for the fall semester or November 15th for the spring semester.We do not accept applications from students in the Adult Evening programs, online programs, or the PhD, EdD, or PsyD programs; graduate students can apply but are the lowest priority group to be placed.
Interior Photos – One Bedroom Apartment
Interior Photos – Two Bedroom / One Bathroom Apartment
Interior Photos – Two Bedroom / One Bathroom Apartment (Renovated- very limited availability)
Interior Photos – Two Bedroom / Two Bathroom Apartment
What do the FIRs Apartments have to offer?
- 1 bed/1 bath, 2 bed/1 bath, and 2 bed/2 bath spacious units
- High-speed network hook-ups and wireless internet access included
- Water, sewer, and garbage included in all units
- Garbage disposals in all units
- Mini blinds provided on all windows
- Onsite laundry facilities with debit/credit card operated machines
- Additional storage lockers onsite for 1b/1b and 2b/1b units; storage closets included in 2b/2b units
- Patios and balconies – Great views of Lake Washington in select units
- Electricity cost included in select 1-bedroom units
- Washer/dryer provided in 2b/2b units
- Dishwashers provided in all 2-bedroom units
- Walking distance to Lake Washington and a variety of restaurants and stores
- Located in the Lake Washington School District
How do I apply?
The FIRs application is entirely online and can be accessed through the My Housing portal of Eagle (found here). Paper applications are not available.
- Log in with your NU email and password.
- From the dropdown menu “Applications,” select the “FIRS Student Application.” The application will have specific semester indicated in parenthesis. That is the current semester, and not necessarily the semester for which you are applying to move in. The questions will give you the opportunity to specify your preferred move in date.
- Complete the application fully; partial applications will not be accepted.
- At the end, pay the $25 application fee with a credit or debit card through the online payment portal as prompted.
- Once we have received your completed application and the $25 application fee, you will be placed on the waitlist and emailed a confirmation to your NU email address.
Keep in mind…
- To be eligible for an apartment, you must be a full-time student of the university each semester. For undergraduate students, this requires at least 12 credit hours per semester. For graduate program full-time requirements, contact your graduate admissions counselor.
- We cannot accept applications from students in the Adult Evening or Online programs, or doctoral programs.
- Families with children must apply to two-bedroom units. The FIRS apartments can only accommodate applicants with a maximum of two children. Only minor age children are qualified to live in the FIRS with their parents.
- We cannot guarantee when an apartment will be available for you once you join the waitlist. The FIRS apartments are rented on a month-to-month basis, so we often do not know when an apartment will be available until a month before it opens. You can remain on the waitlist as long as you continue to be a full-time student of the university; we will not remove your name from the list until you receive a placement unless requested.
- Please read over the FIRS Living Area Manual, linked below, for more information on the policies and regulations of the FIRS Apartments.
- Residents in one-bedroom apartments are not permitted to have roommates. We do not pair up roommates in two-bedroom apartments. If a single resident in a two-bedroom apartment would like a roommate, they may find a same-gender roommate who is also qualified to live in the FIRS, and that individual must also apply and pay a separate housing deposit. When the primary resident of the apartment moves out, the roommate must move out as well.
- To look for a roommate for the FIRS, please visit our Roommate Connector page.